HEED-115 Personal and Community Health
This course will synthesize the important facts and concepts of a variety of college level courses including biology, physiology, anatomy, ecology, psychology, and sociology into a meaningful dialogue that will motivate the student to modify their health practices to a high level of effective and enjoyable living.
3 hours weekly
1. Identify the dimensions of health and wellness and summarize their relationship to a positive
2. Apply concepts related to the prevention of chronic disease, including exercise, nutrition,
weight management, and stress, and develop one’s own opinion on what it takes to
develop/maintain a healthy lifestyle.
3. Assess and evaluate current levels of health and wellness and develop a personalized
wellness program to promote a healthy lifestyle.
4. Identify the cause, prevention, societal implications, and treatment of sexually transmitted
diseases, including AIDS.
5. Summarize the negative effect of substance abuse on the human body.
6. Review the evidence to evaluate health-related claims for valid and credible wellness