EDUC-112 Methods and Materials in Early Childhood Education
This course is designed to teach the methods and proper use of materials for presenting creative learning experiences to young children in the areas of art, music, creative dramatics, language, movement, cooking, math and science. This course meets the Maryland State Department of Education Teaching Methodology requirement for an initial certificate in Early Childhood Education. This course fulfills Part 2 (of 2 parts) of the Child Care Certificate required for Child Care Teacher-Preschool. EDUC-111 is required to complete the Child Care Certificate.
3 hours weekly
1. List the characteristics and needs of young children, and their implications for teachers.
2. Describe the importance of play for children.
3. Discuss the role of the teacher in promoting creativity.
4. Discuss the role of the teacher in attitudes and values formation.
5. List the criteria for good materials for young children.
6. Write a lesson plan for young children in the correct format.
7. Plan and present a lesson to young children in a classroom setting.
8. Observe and objectively evaluate lessons presented to young children.
9. List constructive teaching techniques for working with young children.
10. List the curriculum areas that should be included in an early childhood program.
11. Discuss how experiences and materials meet the developmental needs of the young child.
12. Function in a professional manner with young children and other college students in the